Why I think Martin Ayers got the grip right...

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Why I think Martin Ayers got the grip right...

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:12 am

I've been fooling around with Martin Ayers videos lately and must admit, his idea of grip containment is the closest to what I think great ball strikers do. Tiger used to say that he never spun the club and that his grip was so tight that it happened automatically. I've been getting closer, but watching Rory this year got me interested again, because the club just seems to twirl when he loosens his grip. I've since gone down this road and have to admit--my compression has noticeably increased. I'm only advocating the "containment" concept, how you put your hands on the club is your funeral. :lol:

So, it hopes that helps you guys out here is the video describing MA's grip concepts...

"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Re: Why I think Martin Ayers got the grip right...

Postby nfbandon » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:12 am

I worked with Martin for several years, and, if you are serious about containment, then you can't let the club head move inside so fast on the BS. Indeed, the whole essence of containment is you resist the clubhead from moving inside your hands going back and going through. It is contained in that space between setup and takeway through the swing.
nfbandon

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:57 pm

nfbandon wrote:I worked with Martin for several years, and, if you are serious about containment, then you can't let the club head move inside so fast on the BS. Indeed, the whole essence of containment is you resist the clubhead from moving inside your hands going back and going through. It is contained in that space between setup and takeway through the swing.

I do not promote DOCF, although a very intriguing approach--not my brand of tea. I'm more discussing the concept of grip containment, specifically the pressures associated with hand to hand contact vs. hand to club contact. I think this subject can be expanded to encompass hand attitudes and how proper hand to hand pressures can ensure that our "oily" joints stay that way without having to drill it all the time.

Notice how there is no active twirl of the club...

"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:39 pm

Ded2Journey

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:42 pm

VS...FAKE Twirl

Ded2Journey

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:45 pm

EPIC FAIL...NOT advanced grip fundamentals of a pure ball striker.

Ded2Journey

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers