Anyone recognise this swing please?

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Anyone recognise this swing please?

Postby golfbulldog » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:53 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5fVCH8wAs4

who is the guy swinging at about 7 second mark? I doesn't seem to be Tony Manero who collects the trophy at the end of the clip since, although they share similar coloured trousers (pants) and shirt, the body, nose and moustache seem different. The 7 second guy has quite a big chest and seems medium height whereas Tony Manero seems more slim and taller.

The guy at 7 seconds has the most amazing pivot action from release through impact. from 7:23 to 8:01 secs... using pause, < and > to move frame by frame... Hogan achieves similar action but almost all modern golfers don't. This guy's swing needs studying. Plus it is a great angle to view it.

This footage is from the Glen Falls Open which Manero won twice :1930 and 1938. A blogger reports that Sarazen was second in 1938 but not sure where he placed in 1930.

Fascinating early US course according to the blogger:

http://top100golf.blogspot.com/2017/07/ ... falls.html

Thanks for any help!
golfbulldog

Re: Anyone recognise this swing please?

Postby lagpressure » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:20 pm

111.jpg
111.jpg (18.36 KiB) Viewed 353 times

Some great looking golf swings there.
Strong pivot driven swings directly evolved from heavier flatter clubs.

Although I don't think it is, that swing reminds me a lot of Walter Hagen the way the legs work.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Wknhacker » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:23 am

Could it be Gene Sarazen?
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby golfbulldog » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:32 pm

Thanks for the comments. Sarazen is featured in the later stages of the clip and is dressed differently. I agree that he looks a similar short height to Sarazen and I think it might be bobby Cruickshank, diminutive Scot whose CV includes 2 consecutive victories in the North and South open as well as 1 on the Western front (he saw action at the Somme and Pascendale and escaped after being captured in 1918). There is a clip of him at the 1923 US Open on YouTube somewhere I think. He emigrated to US after WW1 and won many titles on the early tour. A couple of near misses in the majors (damn that Bobby Jones for 1 of them) and an amazing comeback after being 9 down to Al Watrous with 12 to play in a 36 hole match... Quite the player even if it isn't him in this clip.

Here is 1923 US open clip... Amazing series of players!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mboaVmM2-AM
golfbulldog

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers