Augusta National and The Masters

Re: Augusta National and The Masters

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:19 am

lagpressure wrote:
Ded2Journey wrote:
8000 would be a good place to start with 150 yard wide fairways with blinking digital GPS yardage markers every 10 feet in the fairways to help speed up play. Coaches and players should be in constant contact during the round via text messaging so it really becomes a team effort.
The caddy could be reviewing the swing analysis of the last tee shot on his or her iphone. Wind and barometer readings could be calculated along with any elevation changes with an algorithm in place the gives the player the recalculated yardage sent via text to the caddy in a timely manner for the upcoming shot.

This is pretty funny...sounds like something you would see at a basketball game or football game. HAHA...what an imagination!

If there is money to be made, why not? The tech cat is so far out of the bag, whose is to say what can or can't be allowed?
Are the folks at USGA or R and A traditionalists? Nope.

If you ban anything, you start sounding like me. The world needs to move forward and golf needs to keep up with the times.
Golf needs to get further plugged in and there should be an app that feeds the player everything he or she needs through their bluetooth (do they use those anymore?). Cut down all the trees. There shouldn't be hazards in the air. Bad for business.
Drive for distance only. Carry 6 wedges and a couple hybrids for super long par 3's or the occasional par 5. Thank goodness they didn't ban long putters. They are just so stylish and fashion forward. Oh, traditional too. They've been around for decades.

I agree we need to keep the game moving forward, but there is a bit of tradition we should keep around. The game has and always will be about the player against the course. Caddies have huge roles in this process, but they do not hit the shots...nor do the mental, swing or fitness coaches. I like the idea of building a team, and I think it is why "players" hit it further and score the way they do with the decrease in ball striking ability. However, in the past 3 years I haven't seen any pros in contention that aren't firing at every pin--which has a huge affect on ball striking stats--are they really as terrible as we make it out to be?

I would really enjoy seeing range finders on tour to speed play up. I'd like to see golf ball technology restricted the same way we restrict driver size and groove design. It's gone far enough...let's reign it in.

Instead of increasing course size, I'd like to see them add more trees and hazards to shorter courses. Get protracer on every golf shot for the folks watching on TV. Let the long hitters learn course management through stymied lies and penalty strokes. Let the spectator be entertained by the flight of the ball--which is what has and always will be the most hypnotizing. We could do 360 replays like the NFL/sports science. We could get better angles on the putting green so people could watch the ball track better...hell protrace putting too! You know, how terrible would it be to see the spin rates, d-plane, trajectory, and smash factor stats posted immediately after every shot?

I happen to like the game where it is today...power, grace and short game skills--you have to be a complete player to compete. Jordan Speith is a great example (minus his recent meltdown)--his short game is quite impressive...his long game is adequate.

No doubt we've moved beyond tradition in both golf and life--but is it really all that bad? Could WE call it progress if we look at the youth, knowledge, and business the modern game has brought to tradition???
"Reverse every natural instinct and do the opposite of what you are inclined to do, and you will probably come very close to having a perfect golf swing." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Range Rat » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:55 am

Lagpressure wrote:

Cut down all the trees. There shouldn't be hazards in the air. Bad for business.

:lol:
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby nfbandon » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:30 pm

They did that at Oakmont. Of course, you could say that is going back to tradition, since early golf course design did not include trees. ;)
nfbandon

Postby LesMurray » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:47 pm

Ded2Journey wrote:No doubt we've moved beyond tradition in both golf and life--but is it really all that bad? Could WE call it progress if we look at the youth, knowledge, and business the modern game has brought to tradition???

I find it hard to call it progress when the only thing that has progressed is technology and fashion. A diminishing of skills due to advancements in technology I would not call progress. Though, that is what it is called in every field - using technology to make life easier.
LesMurray

Postby norcalvol » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:37 pm

Flaubert's Parrot is a good book.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby Range Rat » Thu May 11, 2017 3:19 am

Along with your favorite cup of brew, some great viewing here:

Maybe start a ordered list of who's who?
Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Thu May 11, 2017 3:49 am

Jackie Burke Jr. @ 6:00 and 6:36...?
Range Rat

Postby lagpressure » Fri May 12, 2017 2:19 pm

Definition: DEVOLVE: to gradually go from an advanced state to a less advanced state

One certainly needs a more advanced ball striking technique to execute long iron play off fairway lies.
If pro players are not hitting all the clubs in their bag during a round of golf... particularly long irons into par 4's... the game has devolved. Simple as that.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Golf Course Architecture