Trying to remember a quote ...

Trying to remember a quote ...

Postby turn » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:52 pm

Hey I've been thinking about this for years ...

I think I heard this in the late '80's, maybe early 90's. And I'm not 100% sure who said it, but I remember it being Ben Crenshaw. So if it wasn't Crenshaw, I apologize.

Anyway, the quote was: 'If you see me playing a metal wood, you'll know I quit.'.

The reason I remember it as Crenshaw is that I tuned in to some tournament by the mid to late 90's and there was Crenshaw with a big graphite shafted metal wood driver and i just thought HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!?!?

Anyone anywhere remember hearing that quote? I've googly searched and youtubular searched for it but come up with nothing.
turn

Re: Trying to remember a quote ...

Postby lagpressure » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:46 pm

I know a lot of players swore off metal woods well into the early 90's. I think that no one would have imagined the USGA would fail to put a limit on head size (eventually they did but it was too big and too late). That was the thing.. They got the materials so light with a big head ... and this allowed them to make shafts 46 inches and players didn't have to fear missing the clubface, and they could swing as hard as they possibly could at it. That was the game changer. Metal itself is not superior to wood.

Once that happened, guys didn't have much choice.

With the smaller head, the long shafts were just not practical. Didn't really matter what the material was. If they shrunk the heads back to proper size, you'd see guys hitting persimmon again. It's still the best design and much more workable to personally fine tune and customize. The centered mass weighting right behind the sweetspot is superior for true quality strikers that want to control trajectory and work the ball easily both left to right and right to left.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Return to Golf's Greatest Quotes!