1967 Bill Strausbaugh Demostrating ABS Protocols

Advanced Ball Striking welcomes you to San Francisco

1967 Bill Strausbaugh Demostrating ABS Protocols

Postby lagpressure » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:45 pm

Bill_Strausbaugh.jpg
Bill_Strausbaugh.jpg (372.28 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
User avatar
lagpressure
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8023
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Re: 1967 Bill Strausbaugh Demostrating ABS Protocols

Postby lagpressure » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:48 pm

Bill_Strausbaugh1.jpg
Bill_Strausbaugh1.jpg (374.83 KiB) Viewed 2736 times


Creating spine tilt through transition creates an open pathway for the arms to slot down into P3.... so critical for great ball striking.

Moe used to tell me "I'm a waiter, I never spill the tray"
This is what Strausbaugh is demonstrating so nicely here in 1967.
User avatar
lagpressure
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8023
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Re: 1967 Bill Strausbaugh Demostrating ABS Protocols

Postby Wknhacker » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:18 pm

Lag, would you also say the torso and shoulders are responsible for moving the club into and beyond impact, and not the hands?
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
User avatar
Wknhacker
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:39 am

Re: 1967 Bill Strausbaugh Demostrating ABS Protocols

Postby norcalvol » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:46 pm

What is really striking to me in these stills is that it appears that the spine tilt is not present at address and during the backswing, but is created during transition and then remains all the way to Pv5.
Accelerate forever!
User avatar
norcalvol
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:01 pm
Location: Bay Area, California

Re: 1967 Bill Strausbaugh Demostrating ABS Protocols

Postby Ded2Journey » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:45 pm

norcalvol wrote:What is really striking to me in these stills is that it appears that the spine tilt is not present at address and during the backswing, but is created during transition and then remains all the way to Pv5.


Maybe these positions are exaggerated for feel??? Hogan's concentration drill was statically different from his fluid movements. Hard to say without a golf club in his hand.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:54 pm

Re: 1967 Bill Strausbaugh Demostrating ABS Protocols

Postby norcalvol » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:09 pm

Ded2Journey wrote:
norcalvol wrote:What is really striking to me in these stills is that it appears that the spine tilt is not present at address and during the backswing, but is created during transition and then remains all the way to Pv5.


Maybe these positions are exaggerated for feel??? Hogan's concentration drill was statically different from his fluid movements. Hard to say without a golf club in his hand.


That is a good point. Drills, including ABS, are exaggerated movements to enable just enough into the swing.

These pics were interesting in that just recently I have implemented spine tilt into my on course swing and it pays big dividends: spine tilt + properly sequenced pivot = good things happening.

To help that along, I was starting at address with conscious spine tilt... But these pics were intriguing from the standpoint of Mod 6 in that transition is where the spine tilt is created, not from address.

Very thought provoking.
Accelerate forever!
User avatar
norcalvol
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:01 pm
Location: Bay Area, California

Re: 1967 Bill Strausbaugh Demostrating ABS Protocols

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:08 am

norcalvol wrote:
Ded2Journey wrote:
norcalvol wrote:What is really striking to me in these stills is that it appears that the spine tilt is not present at address and during the backswing, but is created during transition and then remains all the way to Pv5.


Maybe these positions are exaggerated for feel??? Hogan's concentration drill was statically different from his fluid movements. Hard to say without a golf club in his hand.


That is a good point. Drills, including ABS, are exaggerated movements to enable just enough into the swing.

These pics were interesting in that just recently I have implemented spine tilt into my on course swing and it pays big dividends: spine tilt + properly sequenced pivot = good things happening.

To help that along, I was starting at address with conscious spine tilt... But these pics were intriguing from the standpoint of Mod 6 in that transition is where the spine tilt is created, not from address.

Very thought provoking.


I personally think spine tilt comes from a better understanding of the strike. Once you know where the strike has to be delivered from, you have no choice but to have spine tilt. Many great golfers preset spine tilt by kicking their right knee in. Brandel Chamblee's new book speaks about the reverse K setup in length and goes on to show that almost ever accomplished great golfer has some spine tilt at address. Personally, I think that becomes intuitive once you feel a technically correct strike.

I have found the best way to practice spine tilt is actually by keeping the feeling of your right knee kicked in throughout the swing. In video it gives me a very byron nelson type dip through impact, but spine tilt and space is obviously improved using this feeling. In five lessons, hogan discussed plane shift on the downswing. I believe this was his version of spine tilt. New instructors teach it using trackman...saying you must swing right with a descending strike for the ball to go straight.

I guess there is a distinct feeling at transition that should do this for you automatically...Moe Norman said it best.

"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:54 pm

Re: 1967 Bill Strausbaugh Demostrating ABS Protocols

Postby norcalvol » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:30 am

I like Moe's image of having the left arm on top of the right arm. That's the "underneath" feeling that I have when hitting consistently well.
Accelerate forever!
User avatar
norcalvol
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:01 pm
Location: Bay Area, California

Re: 1967 Bill Strausbaugh Demostrating ABS Protocols

Postby lagpressure » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:01 am

Wknhacker wrote:Lag, would you also say the torso and shoulders are responsible for moving the club into and beyond impact, and not the hands?


Yes, of course.

The hands don't control the movement of the body parts, pivot etc.
The hands are moved by the wrists and forearms. You could think of the role of the hands as both passive and active.
The hands are moving along a track set up by the movement of the body... and they control the spacial orientation of the shaft
and clubface.

We can't really separate the hands from the body.... everything needs to work together and be trained in unison. This is what we do here
with the Module work etc.
User avatar
lagpressure
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8023
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Re: 1967 Bill Strausbaugh Demostrating ABS Protocols

Postby lagpressure » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:18 am

835d0e5d9c833fe6fda42b51274a5dce.jpg
835d0e5d9c833fe6fda42b51274a5dce.jpg (39.28 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
User avatar
lagpressure
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8023
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Next

Return to Let's Talk Lag's Golf Machine!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest