Impact Plus One

Impact Plus One

Postby NRG » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:22 pm

A visualisation of the post impact feeling I strive for - right arm full of structure, right wrist still creased, that burst through the bag module 7 feeling.

bhthru1.JPG
bhthru1.JPG (87 KiB) Viewed 5136 times

Trevino.png
Trevino.png (174.75 KiB) Viewed 5128 times

As opposed to letting it go.

2016-01-12_2229.png
2016-01-12_2229.png (391.4 KiB) Viewed 5126 times

(Apologies to Big Phil who won't give a shit what I think).
NRG

Re: Impact Plus One

Postby Mashie72 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:38 pm

No but he might be all ears for a shady investment deal
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby Paul C » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:09 pm

If ever there was an underlying non-negotiable of ABS, this is it. It's as sure and as solid as a piece of granite sticking out the ground and rising high into the sky like some mountain peak, indifferent to the snow, ice and hot sun thrown upon it. Module 7 drill work is the ultimate. Everytime, before I commit to a set, I circle the bag and look for excuses to back off and perhaps see if someone is at the front door or maybe something else needs my attention. But, no, the bag stares back at me and dares me not to address it. I take up the challenge and later feel like I gained something.

On another note, I predict the Feds are circling Uncle Phil and he will be led away in cuffs after a practice round someday, maybe not too far in the future. He'll have this look of shock and surprise on his face.
Paul C

Postby NRG » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:37 pm

I didn't dedicate enough time to module 7, module 8 got in the way as it was way more fun, however I feel the need to return to that mod 7 feeling.

My feeling now hitting actual balls is that taking the right arm out creates a vacuum in the swing but the right hand and left shoulder can eventually fill the void.
NRG

Postby Ded2Journey » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:03 am

Lefty may end up on house arrest for a year with a hefty fine, but I doubt he'll see any jail time. IMHO...

Onto Module 7. Although I completed the drill series and I did not formally learn Module 7 I know the importance of this, and figured I would add my thoughts on this. I find it interesting that the focus is on the right wrist and arm.

Does anyone feel like this is only a vapor trail? Shouldn't we be focused on the pivot, grip/ground pressures, and upper body cohesion?

I feel as though I missed something... :shock:
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby NRG » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:33 am

The pivot is the Tortoise and the right arm is the Hare.

For the Tortoise to beat the Hare, the Hare has to take a nap.
NRG

Postby HelterSkelter » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:01 am

Ded2Journey wrote:Onto Module 7. Although I completed the drill series and I did not formally learn Module 7 I know the importance of this, and figured I would add my thoughts on this. I find it interesting that the focus is on the right wrist and arm.

Does anyone feel like this is only a vapor trail? Shouldn't we be focused on the pivot, grip/ground pressures, and upper body cohesion?

Mod 7 is Drill 5 - well it seems like it from all I have read and seen.

I don't feel that the focus is mostly on the right wrist and arm. I think the left is very important for drill 5. The cohesive body tension comes as much from having a firm lead side as it does the trail side action. I feel the muscles more the next day in my left side/back from doing 75 or so drill 5s than I do with drill 3. The resistance of the bag really works those muscles I feel.
HelterSkelter

Postby Paul C » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:13 pm

Ded2Journey wrote:Lefty may end up on house arrest for a year with a hefty fine, but I doubt he'll see any jail time. IMHO...

Onto Module 7. Although I completed the drill series and I did not formally learn Module 7 I know the importance of this, and figured I would add my thoughts on this. I find it interesting that the focus is on the right wrist and arm.

That's what I focus on. For me, it's all about the pivot and then the torso, the left shoulder moving fast and far from the ball, the torso pulling the left leg straight late in P4, not the other way around. It's a cardio workout for sure. Very viscous, focused, trying to move a heavy bag.
Paul C

Postby HelterSkelter » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:46 pm

Yes totally agree with that. To get that left shoulder action you need the left side stretch through impact that gives the fast late shoulders.
HelterSkelter

Postby lagpressure » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:12 am

Right elbow straightening through impact is almost the definition of "Timing". When the right arm straightens, most golfers use that action to assist or aid in closing the clubface. If using this method, the right arm becomes extremely responsible for the accuracy of the direction of the strike.

A better way in my opinion is that the rotation of the torso takes over that responsibility. One could think of a door closing on it's hinges and striking the door frame with reliable and consisted contact. It's a thoughtless process that doesn't need much maintenance.

Taking the right arm out of the equation does wonders for accuracy once mastered. Hogan, Trevino, Faldo, Knudson are all prime examples of great strikers who also came to this conclusion.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Next

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking