Post impact acceleration

Re: Post impact acceleration

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:01 pm

Mystery man wrote:
lagpressure wrote:
Mystery man wrote:I think one area that needs to be altered per student is the pivot.ABS says save the pivot,I personally think others would do better pivoting early. I agree with the rest of it , but the late pivot is no bueno for many. But it is easier to fix someone who slots and is stuck versus an super steep ott player. So if you look at it from that point of view the late pivot is ideal

This is an ADVANCED BALL STRIKING site.

Opposing forces I agree with.But holding off the pivot I tend to question it.For some I believe it is the correct procedure others may need to open sooner.How can you explain Sam Snead being so open at impact?I can't see anyone would have fast enough hips to copy him if they held it off until late.Everything else is actually great info and great drills.

You don't actively hold your pivot. The pivot happens correctly because the club is leveraged properly...in balance. It's not something you think about, it's a feel/pressure you're trying to achieve in your hands/feet. Plus, you're trying to maintain balance with power, you automatically keep the club in front of you which delays your pivot as well. There is much more to this, but it should be a "vapor trail"...not something practiced.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby lagpressure » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:43 pm

Mystery man wrote:
lagpressure wrote:
Mystery man wrote:I think one area that needs to be altered per student is the pivot.ABS says save the pivot,I personally think others would do better pivoting early. I agree with the rest of it , but the late pivot is no bueno for many. But it is easier to fix someone who slots and is stuck versus an super steep ott player. So if you look at it from that point of view the late pivot is ideal

This is an ADVANCED BALL STRIKING site.

Opposing forces I agree with.But holding off the pivot I tend to question it.For some I believe it is the correct procedure others may need to open sooner.How can you explain Sam Snead being so open at impact?I can't see anyone would have fast enough hips to copy him if they held it off until late.Everything else is actually great info and great drills.

2.jpg
2.jpg (23.31 KiB) Viewed 3442 times

1.jpg
1.jpg (32.94 KiB) Viewed 3445 times

Not really all that open here... but...

Snead could do it either way... but this is exactly the point he COULD do it either way. What we are really talking about is left knee straightening hard post impact.

Hogan was much later in straightening, while Snead used a "bounce and clear" method by applying a both knee flex down for transition which put a lot more pressure into the right foot early. This is a better method for left knee straightening.

Knudson and Moe both struck more from the core without the assistance from the left knee locking up or even the hips opening up as early. This has it's advantages also keeping lowpoint shallower longer through the strike and keeps any timing element out of the picture regarding left knee straightening.

Nick Price also comes to mind as a fine striker who was very square at impact but then opened up very quickly post impact. This is top shelf stuff for hitters interested in pursuing the holding of shaft flex through the strike.

However, if you don't "Snead Squat" and lock up the left knee early, you'll be out of sequence quickly and prone to a timing - dump move through the strike which is not what the great strikers did.

One also needs to understand the two options for left knee straightening... their sequence and motivation. Very different.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby nfbandon » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:35 am

I am not posting this to promote GG, but there is a lot of misunderstanding of rotation. I think many think GG is promoting rotation from the start of the DS. See what he says at 4:40-5. It is a drop into right leg pressure and then rotate. He does teach an opening of the left knee and hip as you drop, but the right side holds and the club shallows. So there are differences between ABS and GG but there is very little difference in rotation to left arm parallel (our p3). Hogan's 5L talks about rotating immediately starting with the left hip, but he also talked about a sequence, had some lateral motion that delayed him opening and had very short arm travel on his BS allowing him to rotate sooner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_LKIzf72Eg
nfbandon

Postby Mystery man » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:41 am

Nice post lag.I think the secret is level hips and left fascia bone staying Lower than the right.

This is a favorite of mine and really fits in well here https://youtu.be/ZGjQok_kbRM
One in the oven
Mystery man

Postby lagpressure » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:56 am

Mystery man wrote:Nice post lag.I think the secret is level hips and left fascia bone staying Lower than the right.

This is a favorite of mine and really fits in well here https://youtu.be/ZGjQok_kbRM

I don't feel JB Holmes footwork is any kind of positive example of creating the proper ground connection through the strike for consistent ball striking mastery.
I don't have a problem with the right heel coming up early, but if it does, the left foot should be grounded hard into the earth, not slipping and sliding all over the place.
It's more the by product of lightweight gear, plastic golf balls, poorly designed golf shoes and wide open fairways with little penalty for errant tee shots. Velocity junkie stuff.

Foot position, knee flexing options, hip rotation, weight transfer, stance width all need to be considered and how these things can or should not be working together. Some things are compatible, some not and all sorts of compromises in between. But I would rather focus on what the greatest strikers did, what was proven to work, and work off that platform as a starting point for instruction.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Steve P » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:51 pm

Miyahira is crap.
Steve P

Postby Range Rat » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:48 am

Wondering if Andy Rooney may have had a hidden golf soul.

One of his quotes was "I’ve learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes." :)
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Previous

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking