Thoughts on the Yips

Re: Thoughts on the Yips

Postby Mashie72 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:05 am

Thank you Ded2..I enjoyed that very much..

I'll probably have some questions/comment later but need to let it seep in a bit first..
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby k2baloo » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:04 am

Thanks for the video.
Wondering what thoughts you have on putters and stroke and how those need to match up. Is finding your stroke independent of finding the perfect putter? Is it worth looking at different putters before nailing down a solid action?
k2baloo

Postby lagpressure » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:27 am

The tight grip is very good, because what kills so many people is that they tighten up from what they normally do when they get nervous etc, and this throws everything haywire. When you learn to have the tight grip but the oily wrists, that's a great thing to develop for putting, chipping and full shots because as suggested in the video, it allows the club to load properly.

I also liked the DTL view of the stroke in the video. I can see the club head releasing properly and the ball coming off with hookspin.

Good work!
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Ded2Journey » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:00 pm

lagpressure wrote:The tight grip is very good, because what kills so many people is that they tighten up from what they normally do when they get nervous etc, and this throws everything haywire. When you learn to have the tight grip but the oily wrists, that's a great thing to develop for putting, chipping and full shots because as suggested in the video, it allows the club to load properly.

I also liked the DTL view of the stroke in the video. I can see the club head releasing properly and the ball coming off with hookspin.

Good work!

Thanks Lag. That is the secret, isn't it? Hook spin/Overspin...easy to comprehend, difficult to master.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Ded2Journey » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:08 pm

k2baloo wrote:Thanks for the video.
Wondering what thoughts you have on putters and stroke and how those need to match up. Is finding your stroke independent of finding the perfect putter? Is it worth looking at different putters before nailing down a solid action?

K2,

I could talk about this for days. However, I'll keep it short. Toe balanced putters are superior in every way to face balanced putters if you know how/why they work. That's the key...knowledge, which leads to feel. It's similar to ABS gear vs. Modern fly swatters.

I will advocate for face balanced if that is your preference though, because Luke Donald proved you could be world #1 with one. It just takes more reps than I'm willing to put in personally.

Here is the key...find Nirvana, try every putter you can get your hands on. You'll know when you find the right one. The biggest problem nowadays is that most putters come with fat grips to help the high handicappers. I like the flatso grip, but only if you go left hand low like Jordan S.

The ping grip is as perfect as it gets unless you have yeti hands, IMHO. The Ping Anser is the second best putter every made. The 8802 is #1 and heaven if you can learn to master it. I used one as a kid, but just haven't returned to that level of skill yet. It's really no wonder why crenshaw/locke used a fully toe balanced putter.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:08 pm

This kind of putting works for me.

McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby Ded2Journey » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:03 pm

Similar techniques...toe balanced too...interesting use of forearms. A lot to learn for sure!
Ded2Journey

Postby stevemcgee99 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:01 pm

That Irishman is interesting all around.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby Mashie72 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:18 pm

This guy has some interesting thoughts on the subject.
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby k2baloo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:43 pm

I have always struggled on the greens, and I know I need to improve my chipping and putting to score better. I don't have the yips; I am just not a good putter at the moment. Excuse my sloppy appearance, but here is a putting video dtl:

And here is one from the target view:

Please share any thoughts, thanks guys.
k2baloo

PreviousNext

Return to Birdies and Bogeys!