Thoughts on the Yips

Re: Thoughts on the Yips

Postby Mashie72 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:35 pm

Anything in particular you don't like about your putting? I kinda like your putting stroke.
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby k2baloo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:21 pm

Nothing in particular. Some days I have speed issues, other days I'm off on short putts. But I just need to get better and was hoping someone saw something. I have lots of rounds with 33 or more putts and it just isn't good enough to score well.

I switched to that Bullseye just a couple months ago and things have gotten a little better, so maybe I just need more time.
k2baloo

Postby Mashie72 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:14 am

IMHO I'd look at the overall game plan for the pace of your putts. Looking at a limited sample of putts from your Vlog of Pleasant View it seemed like your putts were either tentative, just fell in or too hard.

I know that math is one of your strong suits so why not use it in your putting? Science has proven there is an optimal putting speed that will hole 98% of the putts if started on the right line. Plus if you have a distribution of 100 putted balls that are all past the hole, won't you make more putts provided that you have ability that none of the 100 roll out more than 18 inches past the hole?
Mashie72

Postby k2baloo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:00 am

Thanks Mashie, that is a good place to start!

I played with a buddy who was on BYU's golf team and he showed me a putting drill he completes everyday that helps with pace (takes him about 30 mins to complete usually). He isn't a great ball-striker, but is a short game wizard and terrific putter. I spent three hours on it and didn't finish, so I may just start finding time to work on that and see if it helps me on the course. The other trick is finding a putting surface during the winter.... carpet for now I suppose
k2baloo

Postby LesMurray » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:38 am

I'm struggling with putting as well. For me it comes down to speed usually, though occasionally I'll yank a short one but I chalk that up to pressure. I use a bullseye and really like the feeling of it. Maybe a little flatter and a bit more weight out on the toe will help.

What I am finding is I have to just practice and develop feel for the speed. I want to believe that there is a method to putting and once I learn the method then all will be good. I am finding that this is not the case and I have to practice my putting more to really develop a feel for the speed.
LesMurray

Postby Mashie72 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:51 pm

k2baloo wrote:Thanks Mashie, that is a good place to start!

The other trick is finding a putting surface during the winter.... carpet for now I suppose

You're welcome. There's a copy of nerdy .pdf floating around called "Vector Putting" written in the 60's I know you'd like if you can find it.

Also if you're indoors and not used to putting all of your putts 12-18 past the hole, a little rubber disc the size of the hole helps. Pelz came out with the "Phony Hole" several years ago as an example. The drill is to place a dime behind the phony hole about 12-18" past the hole. Then have your putt end up on the dime after passing over the phony hole. But the key is to choose your stroke size based upon the distance from you to the dime and not from you to the hole. Don't just take your normal sized stroke to the phony hole and "hit" it a foot harder. After lots of practice you can trick your brain into believing the phony hole isn't the destination and is just a place to pass over to where you are trying to get to which is the dime.
Mashie72

Postby norcalvol » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:42 pm

The concept of creating/maintaining lag in putting...

I find this really helps for me. Just a little bit, and maintain a bit of lagpressure through the strike (which promotes accelerating through the ball).
Seems to help with pace... and really helps my confidence from less than 10 feet. The sensation of pushing with the right palm is in there for me, too.

It is extremely subtle, but a different feel than the one unified motion where club/hands/arms/shoulders move as a rigid unit.
Sorta-kinda Mod 5 applied to putting. But very subtle.

Compatible with Lag's putting module.

I also agree with the mention from Ded that a slightly toe-balanced putter helps... I have a variety of 8802-like putters as well as an old Ping Anser 3, and I can't get as much feel out of modern face-balanced putters. Also, I find modern inserts don't allow the feel that you get from the older metal-face putter without an insert. That lack of feel from putters with inserts is somewhat like the lack of feel with a cavity back iron vs a forged blade.

But again, everything I've gone on about here is very subtle.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby stevemcgee99 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:25 am

I never liked the idea of turning all my most sensitive muscles off and just relying on perfect alignment (greens aren't flat neither are my shoe soles) and a perfect pendulum path.

I try to hit the ball.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby nfbandon » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:14 am

I am going the other way...paying a lot of attention to the clubface and ability to control the length of the stroke...so my stroke is more core and torso driven. It does feel wooden, but my distance control is very good. Given my yip issues this seems to help.
nfbandon

Postby norcalvol » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:16 pm

I, too, am using the core a bit instead of a still body.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

PreviousNext

Return to Birdies and Bogeys!