Etiquette Duty for Public Golf today?

Etiquette Duty for Public Golf today?

Postby Mashie72 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:50 am

Is it just me or is muni-public golf getting more & more out of hand when it comes to golf etiquette? I'm referring to dropping down an extra "practice" ball, not picking-up after 9 shots, stepping in someone's line, etc.

Don't mean to sound like a big whiner-face & realize there are much bigger problems in the world but good grief. Enough is enough!
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Re: Etiquette Duty for Public Golf today?

Postby LesMurray » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:12 am

I don't know if I've noticed that kind of behavior. I still sill plenty of left over foot marks in the bunkers, fairways will lots of divot holes, and the greens full of pitch marks. I haven't seen someone drive a cart over the green in a few months.
LesMurray

Postby norcalvol » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:15 am

I belong to a private club...
I see unrepaired pitch marks on greens, unraked sand traps, no regard for their divots, people playing from tees that are beyond their skill level, etc... all the time. I think it is a systemic problem.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby Mashie72 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:01 am

norcalvol wrote:I belong to a private club...
I see unrepaired pitch marks on greens, unraked sand traps, no regard for their divots, people playing from tees that are beyond their skill level, etc... all the time. I think it is a systemic problem.

Yes, maybe that is what has struck a nerve with me on the public side. There seems to be a sense of entitlement having paid their greens fee just like me. They are going to have a good time on their terms. Golf's fun right? Etiquette just doesn't seem to be taught or encouraged for the good of the game lately. Nothing new but perhaps worse now.
Mashie72

Postby Ded2Journey » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:32 pm

I believe in living by example. I repair extra pitch marks, take time to rake bunkers, replace my divots. After a few holes I see my playing partners doing it too. Most people just don't hold them accountable. When I play with people like that, I'll say something--usually tie it to the spirit of the game. Keep fighting gentlemen, this is an easy fight to win if phrased correctly.

Then again, there are always the assholes that don't get it...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby mdrretired » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:36 pm

Don't forget slow play. I marshal for grins and know that slow play is the absolute worst in poor etiquette. Many causes but few solutions. It is a hard game but not that hard to play at an acceptable pace. I encourage slow groups to play like it is getting dark and you might not finish. I also think that in the era of the golf cart that we should eliminate cart signs and let the bastards go where they want. I still do not understand what is sacrosanct about a par three as far as taking a cart out there. Walkers are rarely the problem. AAArrrGGGGHHH!!!!
mdrretired

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:14 pm

mdrretired wrote:Don't forget slow play. I marshal for grins and know that slow play is the absolute worst in poor etiquette. Many causes but few solutions. It is a hard game but not that hard to play at an acceptable pace. I encourage slow groups to play like it is getting dark and you might not finish. I also think that in the era of the golf cart that we should eliminate cart signs and let the bastards go where they want. I still do not understand what is sacrosanct about a par three as far as taking a cart out there. Walkers are rarely the problem. AAArrrGGGGHHH!!!!

I think we try to play too fast nowadays, just so we can hurry back to our overly busy life. What ever happened to having deep philosophical discussions walking down the fairway with your playing buddy/buddies. I wish everyone could walk, but that would shrink the game too far for our rich golf companies...it eliminates the ridiculous alcohol consumption for sure. It's one thing to have a nip with playing buddies on the first tee, it's another to buy a twelve pack from the cart girl every 5 holes. I think they should assign tees too. When people get to the starter, they have to show their handicap card. I also would like to see courses always put good players with beginners so they can learn the game. How to repair divots, ball marks and bunkers. How to keep up pace by practicing, not buying new clubs. Finally, I think they should bring back the caddy program. We have 40 kids at our course that would love an extra buck. I know they would learn so much about life...get them out of their social prisons. Anyway, a boy can dream...

I'm working on building some rapport with our pro out here so I can have a voice...not so sure I'll get anywhere. :roll:
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:13 am

No caddies, no dads means nobody learned how to play other than watching Tiger-era TV.

Shouting 'IN THE HOLE!' after a putt? What the hell is that?? Seriously, what the hell is that???

Relaxing dress codes was a quick dive down the slippery slope if you ask my analysis. I'd much rather golf courses got the money out of this game than club manufacturers and housing speculators.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby Mashie72 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:15 pm

stevemcgee99 wrote:No caddies, no dads means nobody learned how to play other than watching Tiger-era TV.

Shouting 'IN THE HOLE!' after a putt? What the hell is that?? Seriously, what the hell is that???

Relaxing dress codes was a quick dive down the slippery slope if you ask my analysis. I'd much rather golf courses got the money out of this game than club manufacturers and housing speculators.

Good points..

"Mashed Potato"
Mashie72

Postby Stu Carlburger » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:05 pm

I didn't see this post until now, but I'd like to chime in with my $.02 if I may.

First off, I agree with Ded -- lead by example. If you're filling divots and fixing ball marks -- especially extra ones -- people notice and follow suit.

There is nothing that annoys me more on a golf course than players who can't be bothered to rake, and rake properly, after they're done. First, they enter wrong, then if they rake at all it's a half-ass job. I take pride in the full on tour rake job I put on a bunker -- when I'm done there isn't even the hint of a rake mark to be seen! It's not hard, but it takes a few extra seconds to get right and a specific technique to get right. To me, however, it shows a respect for the course and for the players to follow. The problem is, most players don't know how to rake properly, and have no respect for the course nor the players to follow, sadly.

But, that being said, I think many players don't do their part in maintaining the course because they're trying too hard to play fast. Slow play, IMO, comes down to two things: 1) courses that are too long and demanding for the average player; and 2) players playing from the wrong tees. Further, the demise of caddies has really played a big part. Caddies, historically, were there to rake bunkers, replace/fill divots, and help search for balls. Now it's on the players entirely, and all that takes time -- especially when people don't know how to use carts properly.

When I play with a cart, I try not to drive, and I walk as much as possible with 2-3 clubs and anything I'll need to play my shot. So many people think that the cart is there to shuttle them and their cart partner the ENTIRE way on every shot. Wrong! Between holes and off the tee it's fine to ride, but after getting to the first players ball, the other player should be on foot, getting what he needs to hit his shot unless he's going to be in the other players way. So many times I see guys sitting on their asses while their buddy hits, then be shuttled just a few yards over, only to get his gps/range finder out, then hit his shot. Over 18 holes it's a THAT that adds up the time -- especially when they have to start looking for balls or the dreaded cart path only.

I'm not a slow play Nazi -- in fact, I find the obsession with pace of play annoying -- but, inefficientcy is maddening. The problem is, nobody in the business has found an effective way to explain and teach players how to be efficient with the cart. I get the sense that courses don't want to offend their cash cows as their margins are tight. Where's the USGA here? They try this "Play it Forward" crap but I've only ever seen a starter determine what tees a group will play a few times. Again, when a group of 4 payed $100+ to play they don't want offend them by saying, "you're playing the white tees ..." All that being said, courses with 2-5 minute drives between holes don't help matters much.

To me, whether I'm playing or caddying, there's nothing that beats the pure (and quiet) setting of a course full of nothing but golfers and caddies. The pace is as it supposed to be, and everyone just goes to their own ball. Carts disrupt the natural rhythm of the game, IMO.
Stu Carlburger

Next

Return to Birdies and Bogeys!