Did Phil receive the correct ruling?

Did Phil receive the correct ruling?

Postby Mashie72 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:56 am

Did Phil receive the correct ruling on Friday IIRC?

It appeared that he picked up his poker chip ball marker and his ball rolled back a quarter turn to where the poker chip marker was placed. He then picked up his ball and put it back to where the ball was originally placed before it rolled. I'm pretty sure the poker chip didn't cause the ball to move. I thought the ball was in play as soon as you pick up your marker and play the ball from its new location if it moves. No penalties were assessed b/c the R&A thought the ball moved while he was in the process of replacing his marked ball.
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Re: Did Phil receive the correct ruling?

Postby k2baloo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:29 am

I think so. I'm completely in favor of not penalizing for little things like this that have little to do with the actual play.

I still think DJ should not have been penalized during the US Open.
k2baloo

Re: Did Phil receive the correct ruling?

Postby Mashie72 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:28 pm

I agree with you. The Championship is played on over 28,000 yards/4 days. An inch here or there shouldn't matter if you don't get an advantage on the field.

Here's the link..Go right to the 3 minute mark...I only saw that little vid @ the 3 minute mark. I didn't realize he had an official called over earlier pointing out the ball wouldn't come to rest when he tried to put it back in play.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/phil-m ... ing-no-12/
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Return to Birdies and Bogeys!